Friday, July 12, 2013

Module 5: Reading Reflection

Where does phonics instruction fit within a comprehensive literacy program? When and how would you teach phonics?

I believe that phonics instruction can fit into many components of the comprehensive literacy program. According to Weaver(2010) "a comprehensive literacy program involves plenty of time to read and write."  Phonics would fit in anywhere in my opinion. During reading and writing workshop time, the students are together for whole group, and then they break out into small group instruction. Phonics can be taught during read aloud, guide reading, and conferencing with the teacher. Phonics is important because it involves letter-sound relationships, and that is vitally important for students. Students are taught phonemic awareness and how to decode words when they learn to read.  Also, reading enhances those skills of students.

Phonics is typically started in preschool. At a young age, students are taught the relationship between pictures and words, letters and sounds, and then they blend all of those skills together and start reading. Phonics is then graduated up to Kindergarten and first grade for a more in depth teaching of learning how to read. By third grade, students should know how to read and shouldn't need phonics. There are some cases where a student makes it to third grade and still needs phonics skills. I would teach phonics through guided reading and guided writing. In those parts of the comprehensive program, a teacher should be able to identify the skills the students are lacking.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the teaching of phonics starts in preschool all the way to first grade. I don't think it is necessary to teach phonics in the upper elementary grade unless the teacher sees that the student needs additional support.Therefore, the teacher can integrate the teaching of phonics skills during small group instruction and individual instruction rather than whole group where it is not necessary for all students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Starlet, I agree the the Comprehensive Literacy Program allows time for phonics instruction. I did not know that it started as early as preschool though! I thought that shared reading time was a great opportunity to work those phonics skills into my instruction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phonics instruction is very important in those early emergent stages. In those stages, the students gain the foundation for reading and comprehending. Phonics has to be mastered in those early years in order to successful in literacy later on in life.

    ReplyDelete