Next year, you will be teaching in a school where the vast majority of students did not meet standard on your state's criterion-referenced test and where more than 75% of the students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals. What are some specific universal literacy strategies you may implement to ensure students success? Include both in-class examples and things you could do outside the classroom.
The school in this assignment is similar to my school. The only difference is criterion-referenced test scores. Even though my school is a Title 1 school , which has 100% free lunch, our test scores are good. I would definitely use a comprehensive literacy program with my students. I would incorporated a reading and writing workshop. I would also teach reading and writing skills across the curriculum. My students would participate in CAFE and Daily 5 comprehension models everyday during small group instruction. I would implement shared reading and writing, and guided reading and writing. My students would participate in read-alouds daily. My students would also be equipped with the materials they need to be successful outside the classroom. I would send home a list of helpful websites and apps that they could practice with while they are at home. I would also allow them to take books home to read to their parents. My students would also be expected to complete some type of homework. I would try to make the homework interactive instead of boring worksheets every night. I would also send home weekly behavior and grade reports to keep their parents updated with their academic success.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI really like how you said you would send grade reports home to keep parents inform about their child's academic and behavior in class. It is good for the parents to know their child progress in school so that they can help their child practices the skills at home to stay on track. When it's time to send home progress report or report cards, it would too hard to catch up on skills the students have not mastered.
ReplyDeleteHey Starlet,
ReplyDeleteI like your idea of sending home information on helpful websites and apps that would teach their child literacy skills. I think keeping the parents informed as much as possible is important as well as using interactive homework and not just worksheets. With my pre-k class, I like to have my students read a book with their parent and have mom/dad ask them questions on how well their child can remember the story. I have had some parents come up to me and say, "I never thought to ask my child about the story before".