As your school year starts, you realize that you have three ELLs who are newcomers to the United States. Discuss how a comprehensive literacy program addresses their needs, drawing attention to specific components of the framework that are particularly relevant. Then discuss any additional scaffolding you would offer to support these children's needs.
A comprehensive literacy program would be very beneficial to my ELLs. These students would need extra help with every aspect of the comprehensive program. I would focus on each part of the program to ensure that my ELLs are getting the understanding that they need about literacy. I would read aloud a book everyday. Reading aloud will allow them to hear how the words are pronounced, and to hear infliction in my voice when the characters change. Shared reading would also be effective for the newcomers. As Weaver stated, "As the teacher rereads the text and points at each word, the children are encouraged to chime in whenever they can."(2010). This strategy would be effective because the student would once again get a chance to hear how the words are pronounced. Guided reading would be used as well because not only would we focus on phonics, but we would gather meaning from the text as well. I would conference with the students, and track their progress over a period of time. The data would allow me to reflect on what strategies are successful and which ones are not working. After I notice improvement with my ELLs, I would allow them to join a literature circle. In the literature circle, they would read and discuss a book with their peers. Peer learning is a positive aspect when used correctly. I would monitor the students progress with literature circles, and I would make suggestions to help improve comprehension, fluency, or whatever skill needs help. I also would incorporate the writing aspect of a comprehensive literacy program. The students would follow the same guideline as the reading.
The ELLs may need extra support with the writing skills. I have noticed in the past, that my ELLs could read proficiently, but was unable to write down correctly what they read about. I would implement technology, teacher, and peer instruction to help improve the ELLs deficiency in reading. There are many applications available for those students to use to help improve their reading and writing skills. I would also conference with those students regularly, and assign a dependable buddy in the classroom that could offer positive feedback.
Hey Starlet,
ReplyDeleteI love how you mentioned helping the ELL students through writing. That is an interesting insight from your previous experiences with ELL students and how they are able to read proficiently but lack in writing. Writing is extremely important, in order for students to progress they must have those basic skills and be able to communicate through writing. I also think that technology is a great tool to incorporate extra practice for all learners, especially ELL students. Students become more engaged and motivated when they are using technology. Like you said, there are so many applications and games out there that make learning and extra practice more fun.
Thanks Megan. I agree with you as well. Writing and reading goes hand in hand. It makes up literacy. Therefore it has to be taught together in order to be successful at it.
ReplyDelete