Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Final Personal Model of Reading Theory


Starlet Taylor

EDRD 7715

July 16, 2013

 

            Over the course of this semester I have learned many different strategies and techniques to use when teaching students how to read and comprehend. Reading Process & Practice by Constance Weaver has been very influential in my studies to become a more effective teacher. The skills and strategies listed were outstanding. Before starting this course, I didn’t think that I was an effective literacy teacher. I feel that I am a good math, science, and social studies teacher, but I always felt that I wasn’t as strong in teaching reading and writing. Over the years, I have learned many ways to teach my students to become more effective readers and writers. Reading Process, & Practice has given me a new insight on how students learn to read.

            Children learn how to read by using many different skills. Children start learning reading skills at an early age. Those who are exposed to more real life experiences are more likely to learn to read at an early age. Exposure of print allows children to become more aware of pictures, letters, words, sentences, and paragraphs. Background knowledge is absolutely essential for students to become effective readers.  The real life exposure allows students to gain more background knowledge about different topics. It is very important that students have access to books, and experience life. By students having access to books, they are more likely to read more often.

            As I look back at my initial personal model of reading theory, I notice that my views about how students learn how to read have changed. I focused more on the rules of reading instead of reading for meaning.  I used the skills approach with my students instead of the comprehensive approach.  The comprehensive approach is the method used to help the students understand the meaning of the words. This type of literacy approach adds punctuation, spelling patterns, and teaches the relationship between the different meanings of words. The comprehensive approach is very important because it teaches students that pronunciation and meaning are equally important. I plan to use this approach this fall with my below level students.

Another key point that stuck out to me from Weaver’s book is that if a student miscue that does not mean that he didn’t understand the text. Miscues are natural to occur when someone is reading. Reading is about comprehending, and not about pronouncing all of the words correctly. I also learned that a student should not be interrupted if they make a miscue while reading. The student should be guided to go back to the sentence and read it to determine if it makes sense. In the previous years, I always stopped my students and made them correct the miscue. I now realize that I was harming them instead of helping them.

            Reading Process & Practice mentioned the comprehensive literacy program. Reading is about constructing meaning, and this program allows teachers to implement different reading and writing strategies. I am an advocate for reading and writing workshop. I believe that it is an effective time used to help struggling students. I believe that students learn more in a small group environment. During reading and writing workshop, students are allowed to engage in activities with their peers along with their teacher. The teacher is able to focus on the struggling students during this time.  Reading and writing workshop teaches students to become creative and independent thinkers.

            Students also learn how to read by using the onset and rime of words. Teachers should not teach phonics by separating the phonemes of words. Phonics instruction has had a less effect on many aspects of reading. Early emergent groups should have phonics instruction incorporating into their comprehensive literacy plan. Upper students should not need phonics, but if they do, the teachers should teach those skills in conjunction with comprehension.
           
            In closing, I found the class to be very informative for my studies to become a proficient teacher. I now have a different attitude about how reading should be taught.  A teacher should incorporate a comprehensive literacy program in which she could teach reading and writing skills. Reading is about comprehending and not pronouncing the words correctly. In order for students to become motivated to read, a teacher should try engaging strategies in her classroom. Students should also be exposed to many experiences so that their background knowledge level will increase. The more a student knows about a topic, the better he will understand it.

           

           

No comments:

Post a Comment