Does any of the information presented in Chapter 15 influence your personal philosophy of reading? In what ways? How has your perspective this changed since you took the DeFord TORP a few weeks ago?
The information presented in Chapter 15 does influence my personal philosophy of reading. It was interesting to know that students who have more real life experiences become more readily literate than a child who does not engage in different types of real life experiences. The research in this chapter compared comprehensive literacy instruction and traditional literacy instruction. Comprehensive literacy instruction proved to be more successful in literacy than the traditional way. I agreed with this finding because round robin has no substance like shared reading, guided reading, etc. Students are more engaged with the comprehensive methods rather than the traditional way. Also, before reading this chapter, I thought decoders were the best way to teach students to read. After reading this chapter, I now realize that predictable texts are better because they focus on whole-to-parts. Students learn better that way. I really enjoyed reading this chapter because it opened my eyes to realize some errors that I have made when teaching students to become better readers.
My perspective have changed since I took the DeFord TORP a few weeks ago. After this I now realize a child doesn't not have to verbalize all the rules of phonics in order to process words. I also believe that miscues doesn't mean an decrease in comprehension. My initial literacy views have been altered so much by this class. One key thing that Weaver mentioned in the book was that when a child makes a mistake while reading, you shouldn't interrupt them. The child should finish the sentence before corrections occurs. I thought this was helpful because it makes sense to allow the child to go back and reread the sentence and catch his own mistake. I am glad that I chose this endorsement because I have learned so much. I am excited to incorporate different strategies in my classroom in the fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment