Monday, July 1, 2013

Module 3: Activity 2

What do you think of this? What do such activities and "cracking the code" contribute to proficient reading? What else might a reader need to become proficient?

I believe that phonological awareness is a key component in the reading process. I believe that emergent readers need those skills in order to be successful in reading. By the time a child enters third grade, he should not need any phonics skills. Also, I don't agree with nonsense words. I believe that students should only be exposed to actual words that they can gather meaning from. Activities such as cracking the code are teaching students to focus on the phonics aspect of reading and not the comprehending part. I believe that comprehension is the main factor in being a proficient reader. Why should we waste our time teaching our students how to say words that don't even exist?

Readers need many skills in order to become proficient. Proficient readers are able to read a text, while making miscues, and lift meaning from the text. Proficient readers are aware of the syntactic and semantic use of words. Those readers practice strategies such as pacing themselves while they read, thinking aloud, using schemas, and context clues. Even though a proficient reader is not a perfect reader, he/she is able to make letter sound relationships without identifying a word letter by letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment