Saturday, August 31, 2013

Module 1: Watch and Learn: Assessing Reading Skills Video

The video was one of my favorite parts of the module. The little girl in the video was being assessed for sight word recognition, fluency, and comprehension. I believe that the sight word recognition should not have been tested separately. Those words could have been assessed in conjunction with the other testing that was performed. I also believe that it doesn't matter how fast a child recites words. The main goal in reading is for the students to comprehend what they have read.

It was made it clear to me that proper assessing is key in literacy. The students should be assessed correctly and accurately in order for proper instruction to take place. Also, diagnosis is very important when performing differentiated instruction. I also learned that fluency testing should be assessed frequently. Frequent assessing should be done in order to catch the problem and be able to work on fixing it immediately. I perform fluency testing every three weeks. Those results help me to be able to group my students effectively for literacy centers. My students receive instruction tailored to their needs.

One of the speakers in the video stated that better fluency leads to better comprehension. I agree because if the students is able to fluently read a passage, then they will understand because they read it in a clear manner. Also, students should be encouraged and praised when they are reading. Good confidence helps a student read better. I believe that if a student is teased or not given positive feedback from his peers or teacher, then that will lead to discouragement and poor motivation for reading.

Reading Rockets is a website that I have heard of, but I have never used it before. I plan to use it in the future as a resource to help me teach my students more effectively. It is a very beneficial source for educators, students, and parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment