The powerpoint was also a favorite part of mine for this module. I enjoyed having a refresher on the vocabulary terms that were used. I also was refreshed on the different stages of literacy. It is very important that students progressed from one level to the next. Some of my third grade students are in the emergent literacy stages. Differentiated instruction is very important in teaching those students. I am setting a challenge for myself to have those students on grade level by the time they leave me and go to 4th grade.
I also learned something new about ELL students. I never realized that it is more important that they succeed in their native language instead of English. If they don's succeed in our language doesn't make them struggling readers. I just assumed that if they are not English readers, then they are not good readers at all. It was a eye opener to realize that it is important for them to be good readers in their native language. Of course ELL student will not be proficient readers in English until they are speaking the English language fluently.
Also, it is very important for us to motivate our students. Motivation leads to success. It is important for teachers to build on what the students know. It is similar to the tops-down approach. We should build meaning from their background knowledge. The powerpoint also pointed our response to intervention or RTI. This is a very important intervention strategy for struggling students. If used effectively, this process could lead to helping students become successful readers.
The powerpoint was very informative to me for this class and for future use in the classroom. I learned some interested facts, and also remembered some helpful hints that were forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment