While reading the Table 1.1, I have realized that even though its the beginning of the school year, I have both proficient and less proficient reading behaviors in my classroom. Differentiated instruction has been evident in my classroom because of this even though I have not formally formed groups for literacy centers. I have noticed these behaviors recently especially on our D.E.A.R.( Drop everything and read) day this past week. One of my students read a book to me, and she was a very basic fluent reader. Once I started asking her comprehension questions about the book, she was only able to tell me the last thing she read. I noticed right away that she is not a proficient reader.
Also, the student mentioned above Lexile level's is BR(0), which means she reads at a kindergarten level. I have my work cut out for me. With differentiated instruction, different fluency and comprehension strategies, I believe this student will become a proficient reader by the end of third grade.
There are students in my classroom who reads on a fourth and fifth grade level. These readers are very proficient because they use different strategies to break down the meanings of their books, make few miscues, and comprehend what is read. Differentiated instruction and tiered assignments will be useful for this group because they are the upper level learners. These students will need to interested in what they are reading and learning during small group instruction.
No comments:
Post a Comment