Saturday, August 31, 2013
Text and Article Comparision
The readings in this module was very helpful. Diagnosis is very important in fixing our students literacy problems. Optiz listed two steps that are helpful in diagnosing a literacy problem. The first step is "identifying the strengths and needs by observing signs or symptoms as a child is reading throughout the day by administering informal reading assessments."(Optiz, Rubin, Erekson, 2011) The second step is "to determine possible reason for reading difficulties."(Optiz, Rubin, Erekson ,2011)) The steps are important because it will lead to the teacher figuring out the problem, fixing it, and later the student will become a better reader.
During my assigned reading, I was reintroduced to the top-down and bottoms-up model. I think I mainly used the top-down approach with my students because I rely mainly on their background experiences to construct meaning from the text. By the time, the students reach third grade, they should be in the growing independent stage. Some students need the bottoms up approach. Again, differentiated instruction is very important when teaching literacy. The students have to receive instruction that fits their needs.
My second reading assignment of chapter two was very interesting because it listed good tips for good and effective reading teachers. It made me realize that my perception of reading is very important to my students. I believe that if I show an interest in reading, then my students will be more acceptable to reading and gaining understanding.
Teachers also play so many roles in the classroom. We are planners, explicit reading teachers, organizers/managers, and self evaluator (p. 22) All of these roles are important when teaching our students. The teacher displays all of these roles in a comprehensive literacy program. It is very important for a comprehensive literacy program to be in effect in every classroom because it is used after the diagnosis of the problem, and is used to improve the reading problems of struggling readers. The program is important in ensuring that all readers needs are being met.
The article, Data, Our GPS, summed up the Optiz's reading assignment. The article described how data was collected and then the corrective measures were taken to improve the students level of learning. The students were assessed every so often to measure levels of improvement. I believe that this strategy is similar to formative assessments. When I teach a new concept to my students, I assess them on how well they comprehended what was taught. If they do poor on the formative assessment, then I would reteach them. If they do well on the formative assessment, then they would work on an extension activity. After a couple of days, my students would complete a summative assessment. The summative assessment lets me know if my students understood what was taught overall. If they perform poorly, I would reteach them and the go on to the next topic with the achievers of the lesson.
In closing, the readings were very informational. They were similar because they discussed diagnosing the problem, and ways to fix the problem. Our students should be taught according to their needs. Our instruction should not be one size fits all.
References:
Opitz, M., Rubin, D., & Erekson, J. (2011). Reading diagnosis and improvement: Assessment and instruction. (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
Smith, R., Johnson, M., Thomopson, K.D (2012). Data, Our GPS, Educational Leadership. 2012.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment