Sunday, June 23, 2013

Module 2: Activity 1 & 2

Activity 1- pg 58 #3c

creech- a loud noise
droogs-drugs
glazzies- glasses
goloss-shiny
malenky-tired
messel-muscle
millicents-unit of measure
poogly-poorly
razrez-wreck
skorry-scary
spatted-spitted
zoobies-zombies

My strategies were not really consistent with this assignment. First, I pronounced each word aloud, and in my head. Next, I looked at the word ending and tried to figure out the part of speech for each. Then, I thought of what the word may be, and what it sounded most like when pronouncing it,  and also matching up with the part of speech that I predicted it to be.

After reading  A Clockwork Orange

creech-to shout or scream
glazzies-eye
goloss-voice
malenky-little
poogly-frightened
zoobies-teeth

As I read the text, I tried to use context clues to help me interpret the meaning. In most cases I was successful in doing so. On some of the words, I had to look up to see the meaning of the text. I also reread the sentences to construct meaning from the words. I also figured out how the word was being used in the sentence. The part of speech of the word helped me figure out the meaning of some of the words.

 Activity 2= pg. 85 #7

Who tried to read the words letter-by-letter?
I did not read the word letter-by-letter. That strategy would have been difficult for these types of words.

Who tried to read the words mostly by chunking them into syllables?
This is the strategy that I tried when reading the words. This is the strategy that I use with my students who are low readers.

Who tried to read the words by sampling the letters more or less all at once?
I did not use this strategy because I knew that I would not be successful in pronouncing the words.

What words do you know the meaning of, or think you know the meaning of?
I predicted that glazzies meant glasses, and to my surprised it means eyes. So I was in the right family with the meaning of that word. Glazzies sounds like glasses to me, and people wear glasses on their eyes, so I was close.

Did pronouncing the words give you insights into their meanings?
Being that the words were so hard to pronounce, they did not give me any insight on their meanings. All of my predictions were wrong except maybe one.

How do you handle unknown words when you encounter them in normal reading?
The strategies that I tried today are the ones that I use when I notice unknown words in my reading. I look around the unknown word and use context clues to help me determine the meaning of the word. With pronunciation of the word, I normally group together my syllables and blend them together.

What do you think the implications of this experiment and discussion for how we should help students deal with unknown words?
This experiment and discussion implied to me that we cannot hold students accountable for comprehending the meaning of a word based on how they say the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment