Sunday, June 16, 2013

Module 1: Activity 2

a. What is corandic?
An emurient grof with many fribs
 
b. What does corandic grank from?
Corite, an olg ehich cargs lange

c. How do garkers excarp the tarances from the corite?
Starping it in tranker-clarped storbs
 
d. What does slorp finally frast?
A pragety, blickant crankle

e. What is coranda?
A cargurt, grinkling corandic and borigen

f. How is the corandic nacerated from the borigen?
By means of loracity

g. What do the garkers finally thrap?
A glick, bracht, glupous grapant, corandic, which granks in many starps

How is it that you are able to answer such questions?

This assignment was difficult to me because I was trying to make sense of the words and the passage. I had to reread it in order to determine that the passage was a nonsense word passage. This made me aware of how some students may feel sometimes when they are asked to read a passage in class without having prior knowledge or understanding the words or their meanings. I finally was able to answer the questions in the passage by looking for context clues, and syntactic clues. In the passage, there were commas and semicolons which led me to figure out the answer to the questions. I teach my students that if they do not know a meaning of a word, then they should look at the clues around the word.

What does this experience suggest about the kinds of “comprehension” questions often found on standardized tests?

As I stated earlier, this assignment was difficult to me because I didn’t realize at first that the passage was compiled of nonsense words. If these types of questions are on standardized tests, then they are not rigorous. The questions that were listed for this assignment were basic recall questions. The depth of knowledge was not high for these questions because they didn’t ask why something happened, what will happen next, etc. Even though this passage was difficult because of the nonsense words, the questions were basic comprehension questions. The questions that I have seen on standardized test were not on this level of comprehension.

No comments:

Post a Comment